I have good reason to write this article. While you lose sleep thinking about your business, I lose sleep because of entrepreneurs that are sure they know all they need to know about their niche. And the majority of them don’t. The problem is, they don’t know what they don’t know. I don’t like that saying, but it works in this case.
It’s only logical that you can accurately measure your knowledge on a specific subject when it is compared to all the knowledge that is out there. You may know 25% of it, but if you are unaware of the other 75%, then you literally think you know it all. That actually might explains why people sarcastically use the phrase, “You’re such a know it all”, when really, you’re not.
Getting back to my point. It’s in your best interest to get a more complete picture of all the information you could know about your niche. The amount of information most people use to market to their niche is less than what it should be. There are basics that most people will know. For instance, a campaign could be created for a 45–60-year-old woman, who is single with an executive career. She speaks English, and lives in North America, and has an interest in Yoga.
There are 6 pieces of data that tell you a little about this person. Is it enough? No, and let me tell you why. What if I asked you to name a specific product you know for certain this particular person would be incredible interested in. A product that was literally made for them. You could come up with one that they might be interested in. But, because the data is too thin and broad, you don’t know enough about them to be sure.
There are so many other pieces of important information needed in order for a marketing campaign or even your website and social media to be effective. For instance, how into yoga is this person? What experience level are they at? How does it make them feel? Why do they do it? There are a lot of different answers for each of those questions. However, you are going to do better with 10 pieces of data instead of 6.
Entrepreneurs struggle to find and use behavior data. Partially because people don’t like to probe too deep into the lives of people. But you can’t look at it that way. If you want to help people, getting more information about them is the best way. You must know what people do and why they do it. That’s finding out more of the nuanced information.
There is often a gap between most marketing campaigns and the wants and needs of the people they are being promoted too. The data that closes that gap is more about behavior and emotion. All the other data is basic, and won’t produce the results you are hoping for on it’s own. I spend a lot of time on this specific area when I work with clients because it is foundational to any successful marketing strategy.
If you ask me “How much you should know about your niche?”. The answer is as much as possible. It’s better to have to much data than too little. The more detailed the better. This is exactly what I do when I create a Niche Plan for a client, and you should seriously consider doing it too.